Mychal J. Katz
SunTrust Center, Suite 1000
Orlando, FL 32801
Mychal J. KatzPartner
Mychal practices in the areas of commercial bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, commercial litigation, and commercial real estate. He represents secured and unsecured lenders in state and federal court, including bankruptcy court, and advises clients on the business aspects of bankruptcy, litigation, and workouts. Mychal has considerable experience representing lenders in various business disputes in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, commercial foreclosure actions, general commercial litigation, and deficiency judgment proceedings. He is a licensed title agent, and has the ability to issue both owner and lender title policies.
Mychal so has considerable experience in all facets of judgment enforcement and judgment collection work, and has successfully collected on multiple judgments he has obtained following litigation. Moreover, Mychal has extensive experience in negotiating and preparing loan workouts, including extensions, forbearances, settlements, and purchase and assumption agreements.
Mychal enjoys traveling, running, and the beach.
Please click HERE for my Top 12 Tips for Enforcing a Judgment.
Defended a regional bank in a lender liability action alleging breach of fiduciary duty, negligent misrepresentation/fraud, and rescission of loan documents. Plaintiffs alleged the bank agreed to counsel them and protect their interests in a closing on property that plaintiffs discovered post-closing, had restrictive covenants. Plaintiffs further alleged that the bank had a duty to inform them prior to closing. The Court agreed with the bank’s argument that the restrictive covenants were long a matter of public record and were not peculiarly within the knowledge of the bank. The Court further ruled that the closing documents executed by the plaintiffs expressly disclaimed that the bank and its attorneys were representing plaintiffs’ interests in the closing. Thus, the Court dismissed the Complaint, and ruled in favor of the bank on all disputed issues.
- Represented lender in three related commercial foreclosure actions and obtained Final Judgments in excess of $20 million against guarantors
- Represented lender holding claim in excess of $3 million in Chapter 11 bankruptcy case and obtained relief from automatic stay on large tract of land adjacent to I-95 in St. Johns County, FL following contested evidentiary hearing
- Represented lender in contested commercial foreclosure action involving 25 acres on US Hwy 27 in Polk County, FL; obtained Final Judgment of Foreclosure following contested hearing
- Represented lender in three affiliated Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases involving commercial real property and business assets pledged as collateral; obtained relief from automatic stay and/or dismissal in all three cases
- Represented lender in commercial foreclosure action involving tract of land in Miami-Dade County, FL; obtained Final Judgment of Foreclosure, along with Final Deficiency Judgment in excess of $1.5 million against guarantors following contested evidentiary hearing
- Represented lender on $1 million+ commercial loan secured by vehicles and other business assets, obtained prejudgment writ of replevin on vehicles/business assets and thereafter obtained final judgment in favor of lender
- Served as lender’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel on related commercial loans with outstanding balance of approximately $30 million
- Represented lender in $2 million bid assignment following foreclosure sale on commercial property
- Represented numerous lenders in assignments of promissory notes and mortgages on multi-million dollar loans
- Federal Judicial Law Clerk, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida (Jacksonville Division)
- Federal Judicial Intern, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida (Tampa Division)
- Licensed Title Agent (issues owner and lender title policies)
- 2006, J.D., Stetson University College of Law
- cum laude
- Professor's Assistant
- Teaching Fellow
- 2002, B.S., University of Florida, Finance
- with honors
- Student Honor Court, member
- Board of Directors - Southwest Orlando Jewish Community Center (JCC)
- "More changes announced at Roetzel & Andress" - Akron Legal News (February 2017)