Donald S. Scherzer
One Cleveland Center, 10th Floor
Cleveland, OH 44114
Donald S. ScherzerShareholder
Phone: (216) 615-7418
Fax: (216) 623-0134
Mr. Scherzer’s practice focuses on representative matters that involve: complex business and commercial litigation; civil and criminal antitrust enforcement, both nationally and internationally; trade regulation and distribution issues; civil and criminal Medicare and Medicaid fraud; civil and criminal securities fraud; civil and criminal bank fraud; Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) civil and criminal matters; civil and criminal tax fraud; and civil and criminal environmental litigation.
He has represented plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of civil and criminal matters internationally and throughout the U.S. in state and federal courts. Mr. Scherzer also has experience with The False Claims Act.
- Served as a Prosecutor with the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division for seven years; lead counsel on several major criminal and civil cases.
- Represented several health care providers, or individuals, in numerous Medicare and Medicaid criminal investigations.
- Represented senior officers of Fortune 250 corporations in SEC investigations.
- Represented senior officers of Fortune 250 corporations in FCPA investigations.
- Represented senior bank officers in Office of the Comptroller of Currency and Federal Reserve Bank investigations.
- Represented major dairy company in a grand jury investigation and accompanying class action. No criminal charges were filed and the class action was settled for nuisance value.
- Represented large manufacturer in a criminal case and accompanying class action. Manufacturer paid a minimal fine and settled class action for minimal amount.
- Represented former CEO of a major foreign agricultural producer in a grand jury investigation which resulted in no criminal charges being filed against him.
- Represented numerous other senior executives in a variety of international and domestic grand jury investigations, none of which resulted in the senior executives being indicted.
- Served as Pool Counsel for managerial employees in several grand jury & SEC investigations, none of which resulted in charges against these employees.
- Represented supermarket chain in a pre-merger investigation by the FTC in connection with its acquisition by a large regional supermarket chain.
- Conducted numerous Antitrust Compliance Programs throughout the United States for Fortune 500 corporations, large manufactures and other companies.
- Represented a chain of newspapers in a pre-merger investigation by the United States Department of Justice in connection with its acquisition by a larger newspaper chain.
- AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Selected by Chambers USA "Leaders in their Field" for Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, Ohio (2012-2018)
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America© for Antitrust Law (2005-2011); Commercial Litigation (2005-2012 & 2014-2019); Litigation – Antitrust (2012-2019); Litigation – Securities (2012-2019); Criminal Defense - White Collar (2018-2019)
- Named The Best Lawyers in America© "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Antitrust (2017)
- Selected as an "Ohio Super Lawyer" by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine (2004-2018)
- Selected as one of "Top 100 Ohio Lawyers" by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine (2007-2011)
- Selected as one of "Top 50 Cleveland Lawyers" by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine (2007-2009)
- Recognized as a 2010 Leading Lawyer by Inside Business Magazine
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Law Review
- B.S., Bowling Green State University, Economics
- Ohio State Bar Association, Chairman, Board of Governors and Antitrust Law Section (1997-1998)
- Federal Bar Association
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section, Chairman (1986-1987)
- Northern District of Ohio Chapter, President (1984-1985)
- American Bar Association, Antitrust and Litigation Sections
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Life Member of the Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference
- John M. Manos Inn of Court, Master Bencher
- Served as trustee and officer of numerous civic and nonprofit organizations including:
- President of The Temple-Tifereth Israel (2015-present)
- Trustee of the Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation (2014-present)
- Former Trustee of Mt. Sinai Hospital, Cleveland
- Former Trustee of Laurelwood Hospital
- Chair of the Montefiore Home (2005-2008)
- President of the Shaker Heights Youth Center (1986-1987)
- Former Trustee of Bellefaire JCB
- Former Trustee of American Jewish Committee, Cleveland Chapter
- "Advice from the Experts - Successful Strategies for Winning Commercial Cases in Federal Courts"
- "Working With Experts - Reports and Trial Preparation" - Use of Experts in Commercial Litigation in Ohio seminar
- "Crossing the Line - When Civil Conduct Becomes Criminal"
- Chaired and lectured at numerous continuing legal education (CLE) programs on antitrust law, business litigation, environmental law and white collar crime
- Representing client in international investigations
- Corporate Compliance for international clients
- Over 50 Roetzel & Andress LPA Attorneys Named to 2019 The Best Lawyers in America© List
- Roetzel Shareholders Recognized with Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2018
- Thirty Eight Roetzel Attorneys Honored as 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Roetzel Honored with Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2017
- 41 Roetzel Attorneys Honored as 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Over 50 Roetzel & Andress LPA Attorneys Named to 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© List
- Roetzel Receives Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2016
- Roetzel Announces 37 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Roetzel Receives Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2015
- U.S. Supreme Court Says State Professional Boards may be Subject to Federal Antitrust Laws
- The Regulatory Amendments to the Cuba Sanctions - What Does it Mean for American Business?
- Department of Justice Intervenes in False Claims Act Suit over Fraudulent Delay in Repayment of Overcharges
- U.S. Supreme Court Holds Intent to Defraud Bank Not Required for Bank Fraud Conviction
- Canada Cracks Down on Bribery - Charges Two Americans under Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act
- Eleventh Circuit Opinion Extends Reach of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Two Prominent New York Health Care Organizations to Pay Record-Setting HIPAA Fine of $4.8 Million
- Prominent Illinois Businessman and Former County Treasurer Sentenced in Sherman Antitrust Case
- Ohio Hospital Agrees to $8.5 Million Settlement with Department of Justice
- Record Settlement Reached in Halifax Health Physician Kickback Case - Hospital Agrees to Pay Out $85 Million
- Supreme Court Expands Reach of Whistleblower Protections
- Be Wary of Improper Inducements from Laboratories: False Claims Act Settlement Agreement with Bostwick Laboratories, Inc.