J. Breton McNab
J. Breton McNabAssociate
Mr. McNab concentrates his practice in the areas of energy, oil and gas, and real estate, and is a member of the firm’s Real Estate and Energy, Utilities, Oil & Gas practice groups. He assists and serves clients in a wide variety of both transactional and litigation matters. His background, as a coal miner and as a commercial credit analyst, gives him a unique perspective among energy attorneys.
Mr. McNab’s transactional practice includes the acquisition and disposition of surface and mineral interests, oil and gas lease and pipeline right-of-way negotiations and due diligence.
Mr. McNab’s litigation practice includes oil and gas matters from ownership interests and breaches of the implied covenants in oil and gas leases to lease termination over production in paying quantities.
Mr. McNab received his law degree from the Ohio Northern University College of Law, where he served as the Symposium Editor of the Ohio Northern University Law Review. Additionally, Mr. McNab had the opportunity to be a legal extern for the Honorable Judge Edmund A. Sargus, Jr., of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. He also served as a law clerk for the Honorable Judge J. Mark Costine in the Juvenile and Probate Court of Belmont County, Ohio, and for the Honorable Judge Richard K. Warren in the Common Pleas Court of Allen County, Ohio.
Prior to joining Roetzel, Mr. McNab was an associate at a regional law firm in the Appalachian basin, where he gained valuable experience representing energy clients in the acquisition of mineral assets and the drafting of certified oil and gas title opinions.
- Represents various landowners in the negotiation of oil and gas leases, surface use agreements, and pipeline easements/rights-of-way in Ohio and West Virginia
- Represents landowners before state and federal courts involving issues relating to oil and gas production, breach of implied covenants, mineral trespass, eminent domain, and other leasehold and real property issues in both Ohio and West Virginia
- Advises clients on title defects and curatives
- Conducts surface and oil and gas title searches on behalf of landowners
- Represented client in right-of-way dispute resulting in client having superior rights over competing right-of-way
- Briefed multiple arguments before Ohio Court of Appeals that ultimately resulted in victories for clients
- Successfully argued before the Tenth District Court of Appeals of Ohio in a matter relating to the permitting of injection wells
- Performed due diligence for the acquisition of mineral and leasehold interests
- Drafted oil and gas drilling title opinions in Ohio and West Virginia
- J.D., Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law
- Symposium Editor, Ohio Northern University Law Review
- Federal Externship: United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, The Honorable Edmund A. Sargus, Jr.
- B.A., The College of Wooster, Economics
- Co-Author, “Held By Production Leases: When Are They Actually Held?” - Energy and Mineral Law Foundation (Spring 2016)
- "Breaches of Implied Covenants" - Ohio State Bar Association, Oil and Gas Update (November 2016)