Our International Business attorneys assist U.S. companies in the execution of their inward investment strategies in key financial centers and developing countries around the world. We represent foreign companies in their establishment of U.S. distribution and other logistics networks, as well as their acquisition, disposition, and operation of subsidiary holdings in the U.S. In addition, Roetzel attorneys counsel domestic clients in the acquisition, divestiture, and operation of foreign entities.
Our International Business team offers experienced transaction counsel across a broad scope of matters.
We work closely with our clients to develop strategic growth plans, anticipate and resolve legal issues, construct efficient tax structures, and manage transaction negotiations, mergers, and acquisitions.
Our International Business attorneys can help your company structure, negotiate, and finalize joint ventures and strategic partnering relationships for your international business interest and our tax experts can help you determine the optimal structure to determine your goals.
Most industries nowadays involve international trade. The success of a company may depend on its ability to compete and financially grow in a global economy and having a program to buy and sell products from and to companies and customers in other countries. We can assist you with import and/or export of goods and assist companies in developing programs to ensure compliance with the various state and federal trade regulations.
Our International Business team offers experienced transaction counsel across a broad scope of matters. We represent domestic, foreign, and cross-border companies that are privately held or publicly listed on foreign exchanges around the world. These clients include manufacturers of industrial and consumer products, distributors, transporters, and service companies in both high-tech and traditional businesses.
- Represented a Minneapolis-based specialty baked goods company in a $522 million international merger with a Netherlands-based bakery company
- Represented a privately held company that acquired a $2.4 million equity position in a Chinese entity
- Represented a privately held company that acquired a $1 million equity position in a Brazilian entity
- Represented a privately held Brazilian-based company in a $33 million sale to a United Kingdom-based company
- Represented a U.S. public company in the compliance of issuing stock options and the exercise thereof to employees resident in foreign countries
- Represented international medical device manufacturer and distributor in acquisition of stock of tax exempt manufacturing facility in Puerto Rico, including complex restructuring of target-company prior to acquisition
- Managing a domestic and international trademark portfolio for a publicly-traded global entity consisting of over 3,000 trademarks in Australia, Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Africa, and the Middle East
- Advised European university in establishing online MBA program and online learning portals with University of Chicago, Columbia University, Duke University, and other major American universities; prepared and negotiated partnership agreements, trademark licenses, patent licenses, and financing documentation
What We Do
- Cross-border mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures
- Establishment of foreign operations
- Foreign and international trade zones and tax incentives
- Global IT systems procurement and implementation
- Business process outsourcing
- International trade documentation, shipping, and logistics
- Strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Technology transfers and commercialization agreements
- Import and export regulation advice
- Compliance programs related to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Anti-Bribery laws, and Office of Foreign Assets Control
- Structuring of transaction involving foreign direct investment restrictions