Public Law & Finance
Public / Private Infrastructure
Roetzel attorneys who focus on infrastructure issues provide legal counsel in the areas of financing, contracts, government relations and construction. This group of attorneys has a diverse background in the wide-ranging facets of infrastructure and public-private agreements and includes several former and current public officials.
We represent or actively participate in a variety of infrastructure, construction and financing organizations that give us valuable insight into the opportunities and challenges faced in this industry.
Our attorneys are leaders in the business community, including a current member of the Southwest Florida Expressway Authority and a member of the Water Resources Advisory Commission for South Florida Water Management District.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 offers great opportunities for Infrastructure and Economic Development to a wide variety of businesses. Our Public / Private Infrastructure Group will assist clients to develop plans to manage the current economy, whether the client's focus is on environmental or energy efficiencies or wants to undertake construction of health care facilities and health information technology. Keeping projects moving forward and on target is our main focus. Our attorneys have extensive experience in the lifecycle of development and in other areas including sustainability and LEED requirements, renewable energy resources, arbitration and claims resolution. Our attorney's knowledge and understanding will aid our clients in developing and managing projects from start to finish, including "shovel ready" projects.
Other attorneys based in Florida are involved in the investment and economic development of the state, actively contributing to Florida's efforts to build and sustain a strong economy. Several attorneys in our Naples and Fort Myers offices are Certified by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization in either City, County, and Local Government Law or in Real Estate Law.
Our attorneys represent or actively participate in a variety of infrastructure, construction and financing organizations that give us valuable insight into the opportunities and challenges faced in this industry. Organizations which our attorneys represent or in which they participate include the Guernsey County Port Authority, Summit County Port Authority, Columbus-Franklin County Finance Authority, Northeast Ohio Trade and Economic Consortium (NEOTEC), National Association of Bond Lawyers, Municipal Finance Officers Association of Northeast Ohio, and Government Finance Officers Association.
- Advised a Fortune 100 company concerning $80 million Department of Energy stimulus grant funding for large natural gas user and electricity energy efficiency projects
- Involved in railroad line acquisitions involving Class I railroads; has negotiated property-related agreements and joint facility agreements; and has worked on developing a commuter rail system with governmental authorities
- Provided counsel regarding the acquisition of a parcel of real property owned by a 40-mile railroad line
- Represented Ohio Turnpike Commission in the negotiation and acquisition of private property for purposes of constructing two exits on the Ohio Turnpike
- Developed innovative economic development stimulus programs and prepared the local legislation necessary to implement four economic development capital projects for a major Cleveland suburb; the project required a multitude of infrastructure improvements including roadways, water, sewer, storm sewers, lighting, and other utilities as well as a $40 million hotel project with a worldwide chain
- Provided negotiation and structuring of a multi-million dollar rail corridor acquisition involving Class I railroads
- Advised port authorities and regional transit authorities regarding rail line acquisitions and related matters
- Intervened on behalf of state authority in dispute regarding the development of a county road extension into a multi-rail area
- Performed negotiation, permit, financing, and environmental work for construction of a 50-acre intermodal facility
- Represented a major petroleum company in connection with the permitting and construction of a petroleum products pipeline
- Represented a large municipality in connection with the permitting of a major roadway project involving impacts to streams and wetlands
- Represented both buyers and sellers in the acquisition of rail lines and rights-of-way, involving the numerous transactions for both main lines and spurs
- Represented a developer in the construction of a $100 million mixed-use project, combining residential, commercial, and office development
- Represented a state entity in the construction of a $30 million highway
- Represented a large international airport in a multimillion-dollar expansion
- Represented a general contractor in the construction of a $15 million commercial retail development
- Represented a municipality in creating, financing, developing, and constructing a new downtown center, including retail, office, new city hall, library, and recreation center
- Represented a large county library system in its $80 million expansion project
- Drafted legislation, proposed rules, responded to RFP, and negotiated a 10-year agreement, change orders, and two extension agreements for a 14-county, multi-facility motor vehicle emission maintenance and inspection system financed with user-fees that was integrated with the State Bureau of Motor Vehicles information systems
- Assisted in a cooperative effort between a municipality and a private developer in constructing roadway improvements and utility improvements through the use of public financing options and incentives in connection with an office park development
- Negotiated a utility infrastructure agreement for a major corporation with a county and municipality
- Represented prospective bidding group for build-operate-lease toll highway in Florida
- Drafted and negotiated numerous public-private agreements for municipal and county transportation and infrastructure development in conjunction with private development
- Represented a public university as counsel for $120 million in construction projects
- Represented an oil and gas company in connection with the permitting necessary to construct a 150-mile petroleum products pipeline between two states
- Participated in the preparation of proposal by a team of professionals interested in designing, building and operating a bridge in Tampa, Florida
- Represented a mining company in Florida and obtained unanimous Collier County Commission approval for a new 1,000-acre mine and an agreement that the County will assist the client in building a four mile "haul" road
- Represented a company that converts thermal energy, from a wide variety of sources, into usable electricity, and assisted the company in securing a $5 million round of financing and a $4.3 million grant from the State of Ohio Third Frontier Program
What We Do
- Capital markets, lease financing structures, and tax-exempt and taxable financing structures
- Public/private partnerships and cooperative agreements
- Environmental permitting
- Construction contact bidding, negotiation and claims resolution
- Federal and state contract requirements for public works projects
- Labor code requirements
- Prevailing wage laws
- Surety and warranty issues
- Public financing, including tax abatement supported projects