Roetzel’s employment litigators have extensive experience in handling complex and potentially costly employment disputes for publicly-traded and privately-held companies, not-for-profit organizations, public sector entities, entrepreneurial ventures, and professional associations.
Our attorneys help clients resolve employment claims and charges via alternative dispute resolution methods, including mediation, arbitration, and other collaborative processes.
We have helped employers favorably resolve harassment and discrimination claims, wrongful termination lawsuits, wage and hour disputes, restrictive covenant disputes, and litigation over trade secrets and breach of confidentiality agreements, among many other disputes.
In all cases, we work with employers to develop a plan for each dispute that identifies business objectives, practical considerations, and a clear and efficient path to success. From seeking early settlement of the claim, to vigorously fighting claims up through appeal, we produce results that align with our clients’ strategic and business needs.
Roetzel’s employment litigation attorneys regularly assist clients to resolve employment claims and charges via alternative dispute resolution methods, including mediation, arbitration, and other collaborative processes. Our attorneys are highly qualified in litigation matters, with broad experience representing local, national, and international clients before U.S. federal agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, the Occupational Health and Safety Administration, and the Internal Revenue Service as well as in state agencies and in state and federal courts.
Several of our employment litigation attorneys are board-certified in trial advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy; certified specialists in labor and employment by the Ohio State Bar Association; and certified in alternative dispute resolution methods by the American Health Lawyers Association.
- Represented a political subdivision and received a favorable verdict in a race discrimination / race harassment case that received national publicity
- Represented a major drug chain in Federal Court, Southern District of Ohio, in an age discrimination case brought by a former manager and obtained a favorable resolution
- Represented an employer in Federal District Court and the Sixth Circuit with respect to claims of reverse discrimination and wrongful discharge
- Represented a medical practice against its former physician / employee and a hospital for breach of non-compete and tortious interference
- Represented a construction company in connection with workplace injury and OSHA citations
- Obtained a jury verdict in federal court in favor of a national retail chain regarding an employee claiming sexual and handicap discrimination
- Represented a municipality in a case involving racial harassment and discrimination
- Represented a Fortune 50 domestic automobile manufacturer in discrimination, harassment, and retaliation cases, as well as NLRB proceedings, appeals, and labor arbitrations
- Tried the first Americans with Disabilities Act case to verdict in the Federal District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Western Division and obtained a favorable result for the client
- Defended a major retail chain against age discrimination allegations
- Defended a health care provider against sexual harassment claims and hostile work environment allegations by an employee who had been fired
- Defended a major transportation carrier against claims involving allegations that an employee was disciplined as a result of his sexual orientation
- Led collective bargaining negotiations with various newspaper and television trade and guild unions, including successful negotiation of a new labor agreement that took technological advancements into consideration for the first time
- Defended employers to enforce non-competition agreements
- Represented a public school system and local university in discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination suits
- Represented aviation employers in employee discrimination claims, including national origin, race and sex
- Represented air carriers in union arbitrations for pilots, flight attendants, maintenance and ramp workers on diverse issues, including bids, scheduling and overtime calculation
- Represented hotel and restaurant establishments against discrimination/harassment/wrongful discharge suits
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court on behalf of food manufacturer on claims of sexual harassment, retaliation and gender discrimination, the decision was upheld on appeal
- Obtained dismissal of complaint filed against food manufacturer alleging violations of Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
What We Do
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Civil Rights law
- Wrongful termination
- Employment tort litigation
- Employment discrimination
- All types of harassment
- Non-compete and confidentiality agreements
- Trade secrets