Our Appellate attorneys are highly skilled in the nuances of complex appellate litigation. Employing sound logic, critical analysis, and superior skills in writing persuasive briefs, our attorneys provide strategic counseling and advice on diverse matters across all areas of the law. We assist in all phases of litigation, from pre-trial motions, jury instructions and objections during trial to post-trial motions.
Employing sound logic, critical analysis, and superior skills in writing persuasive briefs, our attorneys provide strategic counseling and advice.
Our Appellate team has extensive experience at all levels of the appellate process, from state appellate courts to the U.S. Supreme Court.
As more litigators realize the importance of involving an appellate attorney early in the process, our Appellate attorneys have been called upon to provide efficient litigation support and guidance during the trial process to augment the depth and effectiveness of pretrial and trial teams. In addition to formulating legal strategies, our Appellate attorneys assist trial attorneys by briefing complex legal issues at the trial level to ensure that arguments are properly preserved for appeal.
- Obtained a favorable decision in the Illinois Appellate Court in a case involving the Illinois Mortgage Foreclosure law and the options available to banks against mortgagers who default.
- Briefed and argued before the Ohio Supreme Court a case involving stop-gap employer liability coverage dealing with Ohio intentional tort cases
- Briefed and argued issues regarding an insurance carrier's duties to defend, selection of counsel and obligations when defending under a reservation of rights
- Briefed and argued in the Ohio Supreme Court a case involving claimant's entitlement to pre and post-judgment interest from time of settlement to payment by defendant carrier or tortfeasor
- Obtained two published 6th Circuit decisions on behalf of the Ohio Disciplinary Counsel in response to federal constitutional challenges arising from disciplinary proceedings filed under Ohio's Code of Judicial Conduct, including successful defense of rehearing petition and petition for writ of certiorari
- Argued a case before the Ohio Supreme Court relating to the validity of a township zoning resolution under R.C. 519.02
- Obtained a favorable decision from the Ohio Supreme Court regarding the constitutionality of a state law related to the method for the apportionment of local government funds between political subdivisions
- Obtained a favorable decision in the Ohio Supreme Court relating to the authority of a local transit authority to enter into a commercial lease agreement for the use of railroad lines for an excursion train
- Obtained a writ of mandamus and an award of attorney fees from the Ohio Supreme Court to compel the disclosure of an incident report for a police shooting
- Filed amicus briefs in the United States Supreme Court in support of a petition for a writ of certiorari in a school funding case
- Briefed and argued numerous cases throughout the State of Ohio in state and federal courts of appeals with regard to uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage issues
- Briefed and argued numerous cases throughout Ohio state appellate courts relative to insurer's viability of late notice defense and the viability and enforceability of high-low agreements amongst insured and insurance carrier
- Briefed and argued in Ohio appellate courts as well as federal courts the obligations between primary and excess carriers
- Briefed and argued numerous cases before Ohio appellate courts and the Ohio Supreme Court relative to personal injury and medical malpractice causes of action and related substantive and procedural issues
- Briefed and argued the Ohio landmark case involving negligent infliction of emotional distress
- Prevailed in the New Jersey Supreme Court on behalf of a tire manufacturer on a high profile issue involving the protection of trade secrets and confidential information produced during the litigation discovery process
- Briefed and argued several cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit involving qualified immunity defense and the use of excessive force by police officers
- Briefed and argued a case before the Ohio Supreme Court relating to the transfer of a municipality to an adjacent school district
What We Do
ASSUMPTION OF APPELLATE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analysis of appellate litigation strategies
- Assistance in preparing counsel for oral argument
- Analysis of significant judicial opinions
APPELLATE CONSULTATION SERVICES
- Consultation with trial counsel
- Consultation on drafts of briefs
- Assist litigator in preparation of motions
- Assist litigator in making a proper record for appellate review
- Attend trials in order to argue trial motions and legal issues
- Attend trials to ensure that a proper record is being made for appellate review